This is an iced mocha from The Coffeehouse in Normal, Illinois. If you are ever within a 50 mile radius of Normal (yes, that’s an actual town), you have to stop here and order an iced mocha. It will blow your mind. It will become the standard on which every iced mocha you have hence forth will have to live up and fail miserably. I have no idea what makes it so freaking awesome. It just is. And it had been many years.
This was one of the many cool things I got to do in Illinois this summer. I was lucky enough to have The General accompany me, too! In addition to rocking out at my favorite coffeeshop, we also:
- Toured the only German submarine captured during WWII. Of course, everything was in German and I could kinda sorta read stuff. So, in a pinch, I could probably command a German submarine in German. (I learned how to call depth commands on Das Boot).
- Since the dawn of our relationship, I have been talking about Decatur, Illinois to The General. One of their native daughters is like a sister to me; as for their native sons, well, let’s just say that every guy I kissed in college had attended either high school or college in Decatur. The Soybean Capital, as it’s called, is best known for the disgusting smell from the soybean refining factories and I felt it was high time that the General experience just how awesome it was. Unfortunately, we arrived on a particularly non-smelly day. We did find this place with my college roommate/sister Judy. If you’re in the area, check it out. It looks creepy at 1st, but I promise it’s not! It’s well worth the trip! And oh so good!
- Hung out with an old high school buddy and her boyfriend.
- I hate shopping and I haven’t been to the big mall at home since I was in college. We ended up there 3 times! It also has H&M, a European clothing store that I am totally in love with and bummed because the closest one to me is in Raleigh.
- Ate way too much ice cream.
- Found my college town is surrounded by wind turbines. Those weren’t there a few years ago!
- The General had never had a White Castle burger. We fixed that straightaway!
- Went to Mass with my Dad and cringed at how a) they changed the words from the original Mass we were used to because of “bad translation from Latin” and b) how non-bibical their message was.
- Avoided a mini-tornado like storm (mom’s frantic voicemail: Stay at the bar! Us: Ok!), but came home to candles and flashlights because the power was out.
- Best part: Spend some seriously awesome quality time with my parents. And my sister. And my future brother-in-law.